The Mary Salkever Summer Camp
What Makes This Camp Unique?
Our Inclusive practices and atmosphere assure that each child is respected, included in all activities (at the highest level possible), given a high level of attention and accommodations due to our 1:2 (or 1:1 if necessary) ratio of staff to campers for those with disabilities. Our Counselors are experienced and caring; many are special educators.
Our combination of learning opportunities and fun. We use the iPad as a technological tool to involve campers in making movies, researching the theme of the week (E.g. the Maryland Blue Crab, Jellyfish or other topics). Trips to places like the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science Center help campers learn about the topic of the week, among other interesting things. Arts and Crafts are great and trips are always fun!
We build self-esteem. Campers with and without disabilities have an opportunity to form friendships and be accepted as an equal by others.
Camp Details and Registration
What ages may attend each session?
Ages 7 to 14 in Session I - June 26 - June 30, 2017
- Ages 15 to 21 in Session II - July 31 - August 4, 2017
Is my child eligible?
- We accept children with any disability if they the age range for the specific session
- We accept siblings who are typically developing and are within the age range for the session
- We accept a few children with no disability, when spaces are available, to provide an inclusive environment
- We cannot accept a child who needs 24-7 medical care available; however,
- We DO ALLOW a nurse, parent or caregiver to attend with a child
What are the camp's hours?
- Camp is a week-long experience that begins at 9 am. and ends at 3 pm. daily, Monday - Friday
What is the cost of a one-week session?
- A week-long session costs $295 per camper.
- There is an additional $100 (for assessment & a customized plan) for any child with a disability who is attending our camp for the first time.
- The cost is $295 for a returning camper with a disability or any child with no disability
- EXCEPTION: A camper's typically developing sibling may attend for $245 per week (a $50 discount).
Volunteer to be a Jr. Counselor - Email email@example.com to enquire.
Apply to be a Camp Counselor - use the Counselor Application form here.
Parents - Complete the Camp Registration Form to register your child. Include the name and age of your child and his or her disability. A $50 deposit will be required to hold your child's place.