Requests for the 2013 What I Wish for my Child Campaign are being accepted now and will be through April 30, 2013.
- We will accept requests throughout March & April 2013
- Requests are accepted by mail, online using the Submit a Wish button above, or by calling our office at 410.554.9134.
- Our volunteers will screen each request submitted and take the time to visit each potential winner to better understand the specific needs of each child and family. This process takes several weeks as you might guess. Also, a group of engineers must make final selections afer reviewing reccomendations from a group of Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists and Engineers who conduct the home visits.
- At least five winners will be selected by mid-July!
- We make connections over the next two or three months between each family and an engineer or group of engineering students.
Our volunteers are very dedicated people, as you can see from all the work they put in before even beginning a project!
About the What I Wish Campaign
V-LINC’s What I Wish for My Child is an annual program designed to help realize the dreams of children with disabilities in Central Maryland. Families of these children know how difficult it can be when their sons or daughters cannot participate in the activities that other children can. Each spring, V-LINC takes requests from parents who have a wish for their child, ages 2-21. We recruit engineers to design and build customized solutions at no-cost for five winning families to help their children do what others find so easy but they may find impossible.
Previous What I Wish projects continue to help children with disabilities do things they could not do before. Transferring from a wheelchair independently, riding a bike, tucking themselves in at night, driving a golf cart, and accessing their backpack while in a wheelchair are just a few examples of the independence gained through What I Wish for My Child. Even a way for a boy with autism to learn when to lower his voice to help him socialize more comfortably. This is the highlight of the year for our volunteers and staff who are inspired by the love and care these families with special needs children demonstrate.
See examples from previous years What I Wish for My Child Campaigns:
- 2011 Projects [Open in New Window]
- 2010 Projects [Open in New Window]
- 2009 Projects [Open in New Window]
2013 What I Wish for My Child Sponsors:
The What I Wish for My Child campaign is made possible by the generous support of our sponsors:
Contact us to learn how you can become a 2013 What I Wish for My Child Sponsor.
Like Us on Facebook (facebook.com/vlinc) to keep up-to-date with the 2013 What I Wish for My Child Campaign!
Please note that we also take requests for children as well as adults throughout the year as part of our Custom Assistive Technology service. A fee applies to any custom design that is not part of the What I Wish for My Child campaign.